Monday, March 22, 2010

Granola

Kevin and I have been on this yogurt + granola + fruit kick for the last month. We are both really enjoying it so I thought I would try and make some homemade granola. It turned out pretty good!

What you will need:

*3 cups rolled oats
*1 cup slivered almonds
*1 cup cashews
*3/4 cup shredded sweet coconut
*1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar (I didn't realize it asked for Dark until I started making it so I just used my regular golden brown sugar and it still turned out fine)
*1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons maple syrup
*1/4 cup vegetable oil
*3/4 teaspoon salt
*1 cup raisins (optional)


Directions:

Preheat oven to 250 degrees

In a large bowl, combine the oats, nuts, coconut, and brown sugar

In a separate bowl, combine maple syrup, oil and salt. Combine both mixtures and pour onto 2 sheet pans.


Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes to achieve an even color.

Remove from oven and transfer into large bowl. Add raisins and mix until evenly distributed.



We left the raisins out completely. If I were to make it again I think I would add a little more coconut and a little less salt, but overall it was quite tasty!

No comments: