Thursday, June 19, 2008

Deane's Birthday




To make what could be a long story short...Jessica and I went to spend a weekend with the Blakeslee family in Boise, Idaho. It was Deane's first birthday since his death. We thought it would be nice to show his family that their son is no forgotten, but instead he is very loved and missed. It was a pretty emotional trip, but it is nice to feel like the reality of situation has finally sunk in for me.

While we were there we got to see his son, Wilson. He was so cute and sweet. Playing with him gave me such mixed emotions. On one hand I was sad because I know how much Deane loved him and wanted to be there for him and on the other hand it made me happy to see that little part of Deane that he left behind.

The night of Deane's birthday we went to a Boise Burn football game were we met up with one of Deane's close friends. We spent the whole time sharing our favorite Deaneisms and all of the fun stories of the stupid stuff we used to do together. We all sang Happy Birthday and blew a candle out and just enjoyed one anothers company. We helped the Blakeslee family turn what could have been a sad day into a day of celebrating Deane and everything he meant to us. I hope I stay close to them for many years to come.

Of course, I can't write about my trip without thanking Jessica. She drove us around in her car and took time away from her little girl to take this trip with me. It was a blast spending time with her and I'm so thankful that I was able to share this experience with such a good friend. It is something I will remember forever.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

aw, thats so nice that you guys went up there. Deane's son is so cute!

Anonymous said...

Heather, thanks for sharing those memories and thoughts. I hadn't seen any pictures of your visit but heard all about it from my parents. You guys were awesome for doing that. I love that my brother is not forgotten. Thank you.