Monday, October 31, 2011

Halloween festivities

This year we weren't really sure what we were going to dress up as for Halloween. Last year we did a family Star Wars theme, which seemed to be a big hit, but we really didn't want to spend much money at all this time around. So I came up with some costumes that were near to my heart :)

Here is my inspiration:































Characters from E.T. What is funny, as my friend Elizabeth pointed out, is that I chose to dress up as characters in a movie dressing up for Halloween. Yes, I am just that complicated :) No really this was one of my favorite movies growing up (if you can't tell from the almost life size talking stuffed animal I am holding below). What is funny is that apparently, neither one of my parents have seen this movie so when I emailed them pictures their response is um sure you look good.

Our costume trial run was at our friend Tasha's birthday party.






























































After I came home from the party and I looked at the pictures, I realized I needed a wig because I look bald under my sweatshirt!

For Morgan's costume I couldn't find any "cowgirl" costumes that were anywhere close to the one "Gertie" was wearing in the movie. So...I used what we had. Morgan had a checked skirt already, but when I went to the fabric store they had NOTHING similar. So I had to settle for plain red for her vest. BUT I have to say it felt really awesome to make part of her costume. It was one of those "I am really a mom" moments.





















Under close examination there are plenty of flaws, but hey I am not much of a seamstress and I made up my own pattern as I went along.





















We took Morgan to our church's Halloween party and I was surprised that there were a few people that knew who we were dressed as right away! I was expecting to have to explain it all night long. However, there were some people that literally didn't know it was me behind the make-up until they saw me holding Morgan.




































































I have no idea what face Morgan is making here. Ha!



































If you look behind Morgan you will see how we decorated out trunk. I made a moon with the bike flying across it and made a mock communicator with the umbrella and tin can etc...






















Happy Halloween everybody! Beeeee Gooooood :)


1 comment:

mrs_stailey said...

You guys are having so much fun! Great costumes! very creative! I cannot believe how big Morgan is getting.